I recently posted this on my Facebook account, as part of a little chain thing that encouraged people to get to know their friends better, so I thought I’d post it here, just to give some random, more personal info about myself, for anyone who might care to know….
1. I was born the same year Star Wars hit the big screen. I don’t know if it’s coincidence or not, but the Star Wars movies are some of my very favorites (the original ones—not the newer ones).
2. I came close to death as a toddler from eating poisonous mushrooms in my backyard. To this day I’m not a huge fan of mushrooms.
3. I played with Matchbox cars and read Hardy Boys mysteries as a young girl. I suppose having five brothers influenced me in that. ‘Course, they also played with dolls and paper dolls with my sister and I. So it was a fair exchange.
4. I started writing my own stories as soon as I could write (5 years old?). I started drawing even before that. It wasn’t long before I was writing and illustrating my own stories.
5. I love to write.
6. I love words. I love languages. I currently speak a little of Spanish, a little more of Portuguese, and would love to learn Biblical Hebrew. Working on that.
7. One of my biggest pet peeves is bad spelling. I don’t think they teach spelling in schools anymore, because I’m seeing more and more bad spelling these days. It’s very disturbing to me.
8. I won a spelling bee in middle school.
9. Five is one of my favorite numbers. My first, middle, and last names each have five letters in them. I currently live at an address with 55, before that it was 50, and even before that it was 555. The number five seems to be fond of me too.
10. My favorite color is purple.
11. I have been to Brazil three times, Nicaragua twice, Scotland twice (lived there for almost a year), and have set foot on four continents. I absolutely love traveling. It’s kind of an addiction with me.
12. I love riding on motorcycles—-especially Harleys. If I had the money, I’d get one.
13. I don’t want to “settle” down anywhere. I’m a very vagrant, restless person. Though if I have to settle anywhere, it would be in Brazil, which is like home to me. Meu coracao esta la.
14. I don’t want to have kids. Well, let me clarify—-not my own kids. I would love to adopt children, though. ‘Course, procuring a husband is first on the agenda! God’s gotta help me with that.
15. I’m not a people person. I’ve been told by many people that I initially come across as “stuck-up.” I don’t mean to, I’m just shy. I hate parties and socializing with large groups of people that I don’t know very well (unless they’re drunk people—-those I can handle, because they won’t remember me the next day anyway). I’m also not that shy around Brazilians. 🙂
16. Have I mentioned how much I love Brazil?
17. I currently work at a professional photography lab, amongst a very interesting cast of completely dysfunctional adults, complete with Goths, emos, hippies, etc. I don’t fit in because I’m the only Christian there, but in a way I do fit in, since I quite relate to the “dysfunctional” bit.
18. I’ve only recently begun to come to peace with the fact that I’m a very dysfunctional person. After all, it is only in my weakness that Christ’s strength is made manifest. And as the apostle Paul says, “God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, so that no man may boast before God.” If I weren’t weak, I would never realize my need for Him, and He could never be glorified through me.
19. God is my Rock. I’ve been through so much in my life, especially over the last couple years, but He has kept me, upheld me, and never let go of my hand—-even when I doubt Him, even when I turn my back on Him, even when I’m angry at Him.
20. I want to get married, visit Israel, ride in a hot air balloon, run a marathon, and publish a book before I die.
21. Actually, I want to do whatever God wants me to do, and go wherever He tells me to go, before I die.
22. I have no desire to live a long life. Fifty sounds long enough. Perhaps not even that.
23. I just recently stood at the top of an active volcano and looked down its steaming throat. So I can cross that off my to-do list.
24. I am left-handed.